Jackson Laboratory - Online Mini Courses
A series of Free Online Self-Paced Mini Courses offered by The Jackson Laboratory.
- Breeding Strategies: Simple to Complex - Depending on your research needs, breeding can be simple or complex. This course will help you figure out the most efficient breeding strategies for your experimental and control mice. Don't be afraid of Punnett squares!
- Genotyping Mice - Why is genotyping so important when working with mice in research? When should you genotype your mouse, and which strategy should you use? Learn how to successfully run a JAX protocol to genotype your JAX mice.
- Sizing Mouse Colonies: A Beginner's Guide - Learn how to size experimental mouse colonies to accurately match your research needs in a consistent manner with a minimum use of resources!
- Diversity Outbred Mice - Interested in using genetically diverse mouse models as opposed to inbred strains? Learn all about the Collaborative Cross (CC) & Diversity Outbred (DO) populations.
- Beginner's Guide to Inbred, Outbred, Hybrid, Mutant, and Transgenic Mice Strains - This MiniCourse introduces inbred, outbred, and hybrid mouse strains and explains breeding schemes, nomenclature, genetic drift, finding phenotypic information, animal health and more.
- Common Laboratory Mouse Strains: A Beginner's Guide
- Mutant and Transgenic Mouse Strains: A Beginner's Guide
- Beyond Genes: Epigenetics, Environment and Health - Gain a basic understanding of genetics versus epigenetics and learning about environmental causes and consequences of epigenetic changes in human and mouse model studies.
- History and Development of the Mouse Model System - Learn the history behind the development of the mouse as a model system for human disease through landmark experiments, classical genetics and groundbreaking discoveries.
- Basics of Mouse Genetics - What are the unique advantages of using mice in genetics and genomics research? Learn by reviewing basic Mendelian genetics, understanding mouse strains, and nomenclature.
- Basics of CRISPR/Cas9 - Get your research started with CRISPR/Cas9 genetic engineering technology by learning about nuclease biology, somatic and germline gene editing, avoiding off-target events and more.
- Cre-lox Technology in Mouse Modeling - Learn how to best use Cre-lox gene editing technology to genetically engineer general, tissue specific and inducible knockouts, apply the FLP-FRT system and turn on fluorescent reporter genes.
- Reproductive Biology of the Laboratory Mouse - Gain a basic understanding of laboratory mouse reproductive biology by examining basic anatomy, sex determination, the fertilization process, estrous cycle and more.